Sunday, August 8, 2010

Homemade Strawberry "Shortcake"

Even though I have been on SCD for 2 years and 7 months, I still crave things from time to time. The other night, I was craving something breadlike and sweet. I had some finely shredded coconut and frozen strawberries and this it what I came up with. It was really good. My 8 year old who is not on SCD even loved it. And she said, "And, it's healthy too because you only eat healthy food mom." It was so sweet.

Preheat oven to 350

Put 1 cup frozen or fresh sliced strawberries in a small pot and put it over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Stirring often.

Meanwhile, in a small food processor mix 1/2 cup finely shredded coconut, 1 egg, a tbs coconut oil, a tbs honey, a pinch salt and a little baking soda. Mix until combined. (You can mix by hand too.)

Place the coconut flour mixture in a blob in a nonstick pan and cook 15 - 20 min until browned.

Meanwhile, add a tbs honey to the strawberries, turn heat to medium low and cover to cook while the coconut shortcake cooks. I've since added a dash of cinnamon and vanilla to the strawberries while cooking and it was yummy.

When it's brown, pull it out of the oven and cut it in half vertically. Smoosh the strawberries up with a back of your stirring spoon and pour over the shortcake.

I've made this quick jam several times now. Yesterday for breakfast was banana panakes with the jam spread over them and crisp bacon crumbled on top. I rolled them up and ate them. I spread some of the jam on my daughter's toast and she devoured it. She hardly ever eats toast, esp with jam on it. SCORE one for mom!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment